Tuesday 16 March 2010

Day 1




9th Tuesday March 2010
Day 1
I really wasn’t feeling this micro adventure. Well the cycle part anyway. I was taking a new bicycle and didn’t have a map to get me to Portsmouth. There were also a few hills called the south downs between myself and the finish line. I was very tempted to get the train but the whole ethos about these trips are that they are meant to be cheap.
By 1030hrs the bike was finally loaded and I was ready to leave. I got as far as 2 miles away when I realised I had not packed any puncture repair kits or spare tyres. Refusing to turn back, I plodded forth and fought against the bitterly cold wind.
Everything seemed to hurt, the bike felt heavy and I couldn’t help but struggle. After 17 miles I stopped for a coffee and cake.
After cycling through the sprawl of Crawly the surroundings became more rural. The darkness was drawing closer and it was time to be on the prowl for a campsite. I was surrounded by farmers fields but there was always a house that would have seen me wild camp there. I pressed on and out of nowhere a camping sign appeared at the side of the road. I followed the signs and it ended up at the Limeburners Pub.
To my delight, the landlord said I could camp for as little as £5 and make use of the facilities. After the shower I headed to the bar for dinner and some beer.
View Ilse of Wight Cycle and Trek in a larger map

No comments:

Post a Comment