Tuesday 16 March 2010

Day 3












This is what it was all about. I was very excited about the hike as I have never done anything like this before. I took up my neighbours breakfast offer and headed towards the coastal path at 1000hrs.
Immediately I realised the path was harder to follow than I expected. After 0.5mile the path had been closed and a diversion along the road was suggested. As soon as I was back on the path, a recent land slip had made the footpath impassable with no diversion offered. Frustrated and aching already from my heavy backpack, I walked back to the road until I saw an opportunity to head back towards the coast.
I group of elderly cyclist passed me called the Bembridge Wheelers. We stopped and spoke about our cycling experiences. They got me back on track and I said farewell. I passed over some high hills and entered the coastal village of Sandon. I noticed a lot of bicycles outside the café and was ushered in by one of the Wheelers and treated to a welcomed coffee. With email addresses exchange I was back on the path and plodding away
By 1500hrs I was starting to feel rather tired and my exhaustion was noticed by a local who offered me another cup of tea. I excepted his offer and put my feet up. George had numerous bird boxes on his patio and is regularly frequented by red squirrels. As we chatted I was treated to a visit by these fluffy creatures. I had never seen a red squirrel before and was astonished by its beauty.
George and I had a lot in common and we chatted for ages. He suggested I stay for dinner and was offered a bed in the spare room for the night. I had only walked 10 miles but my back was sore from the heavy bag. I knew that if I stopped now it would not be possible to walk around the entire island but decided experience like these where more important.

No comments:

Post a Comment