Tuesday 16 March 2010

Day 5











 
Breakfast was a 200g bar of Cadburys chocolate and tasted great. It was a wet night so the tent was packed away damp and heavy. I was out of water within an hour and the next refuelling station was in Freshwater Bay some 4 hours away.
The sun was shining and it made all the colours in the rock even more special. At Hanover point I could see where the coastline cliffs change from chalk to sandstone and clay. Also, at Hanover point was a toilet that had fresh drinking water. I was very relieved.
I had spoken to Alison and she told me they had got the earlier ferry and would meet me at the most westerly point of the island called The Needles. I arrived at the destination 11 miles after setting of this morning. I was still feeling strong so I got changed into my running gear and Alison’s dad and I ran to Yarmouth some 6 miles away.
After a swift beer we decided to follow the coast further round and aim to be picked up in Hamsted. However, the coastal path for once followed the shoreline completely and made it impossible to be picked up by car. Without knowing exactly where we were, we decided to help back to the man road and found our pick up team in the pub. I covered approx 25 miles by foot today.
I thoroughly enjoyed this micro adventure and was truly amazed at the islands hospitality.

No comments:

Post a Comment